On Wednesday 13 November, many students of Bukavu, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, attended a conference organised by the Community of Sant'Egidio on the topic: "Long live the Elderly! For the respect for the life of the elderly, against lynchings and every form of death sentence".
During the event, all students signed a manifesto where they declared their commitment:
• to raise awareness in society at all levels against the spirit of conflict;
• to use the only weapon we have, that of the word, to stop those who call to violence in the country, the city and the neighborhood;
• to condemn any form of violence, individual and collective, that manifests itself in society;
• to work for reconciliation;
• to promote living together and dialogue between people of different ethnic groups and the respect for all religions;
• to fight against any form of death sentence;
• to defend and promote peace in word and deed.